Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Does Pilates Improve Your Posture?



Paul_instructor

Does Pilates Improve Your Posture?
by Paul Meripol

I have been thinking about something my client Joe told me a while back.  Joe said that when he squeegees his shower door in the mornings, he moves from his core now.  He doesn’t just pull the squeegee down with his hand and arm, he pulls it from his center.  It’s the same thing when I reach up to close the windows in the studio - the effort originates from my center.  Pilates teaches us a new way to inhabit our bodies.  We stand taller, we sit straighter, and we bend and reach more efficiently and safely.  And those postural changes have profound effects.

Here’s something I want you to try right now.  I learned it from Dr. Brent Anderson of Polestar Pilates.  Sit back in your chair and slump down.  Round your shoulders and back, look down at your lap – sit like a teenage boy about to get called into the Principal’s office.  Now smile.  How does it feel?  Now lift up your chest and sit tall and balanced on your sit bones with your spine long, your shoulders balanced over your hips, and your head lifted over your shoulders.  Smile again.  Does it feel different?  Amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment