Wednesday, May 8, 2013



Paul_instructorDoes Pilates Make You Taller?
 by Paul Meripol

Our client Julie was commenting the other day that she feels she has grown taller when she compares herself to her Mother, and credits Pilates.  I have noticed the same thing with one of my sons.  When he graduated high school we were exactly the same height.  Now when I stand by him I am just a little bit taller.  It drives him crazy!  So the question is, has Pilates caused me to grow taller?

Well no, we stop growing in our adolescence.   But….Pilates has trained my body to make complete use of all my potential when I stand.  My posture is much improved over years ago.  So, when I stand next to my son now, or Julie stands next to her Mom, we notice that we seem taller.

I think also, that as we progress on our practice, we stand, sit, and move in such a way that those around us notice a certain grace, and power, and integration that may not have been there previously.  We inhabit our bodies, and our space, in a way that engenders a perception of length.

So does Pilates make you grow taller?  No.  Does it train you to find all the length you possess?  Most definitely.  Does it create a perception that you are taller?  I believe so.

No comments:

Post a Comment